Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Best Chocolate Chip Cookies EVER!!

I usually make the worst cookies. But I've discovered why. Here are two tips to live by when making cookies.



1. Don't melt the butter!! I always thought you were supposed to

2. After making the dough just cook 1 or two to see how they turn out. My cookies have always fallen flat making them hard and crispy. The trick is to ADD MORE FLOUR if they fall. Keep trying it until it turns out right.



These were my first successful cookies in a long time:





Rachel Potts Chocolate Chip Cookies:

2/3 cup Crisco (Shortening) DO NOT MELT

2/3 cup butter (or margarine) DO NOT MELT

1 cup sugar

1 cup brown sugar

2 eggs

1 tsp Salt

1 tsp Baking Soda

1 tsp Vanilla

3 1/4 cup flour ( I think I ended up using a total of 4 cups of flour but test for yourself)

1 package chocolate chips


Mix all ingredients together in mixer. spoon onto cookie sheet. Bake @ 375 for 10 minutes. Makes about 4-5 dozen cookies.

5 comments:

Krista said...

Thanks for the tips, I have the same problem with my cookies falling flat and being crispy. I just accepted it, figuring there was no hope! haha! I will have to give it another try! :-)

katers said...

If your cookbook has a "high altitude" adjustment for the recipe, that will usually tell you the right amount of flour.

Dana Scarbrough said...

Hey, you need to add chocolate chips to this! =)

Unknown said...

Oh Emily! I had no idea you were having cookie trouble! Don't you know my nickname is "the cookie lady?" I'm glad you figured out those secrets. I also never use margarine. It hs a high water content, so when the cookies bake, they spread out more. I use 1/2 room temp butter and 1/2 shortening, just like this recipe. I also freeze my dough on a cookie sheet in little balls. That way, when they cook, they turn golden brown on the outside, while staying chewy yumminess on the inside. Happy baking!

Anonymous said...

Hey! Sorry to burst your bubble, but you really DO melt the butter! In the America test kitchen Cook Book they tried it over a hundred times and melting the butter makes the cookie chewy.