Friday, July 31, 2009
Wednesday, July 29, 2009
Creamy and Crunchy Green Bean Casserole
1/4 cup butter
1 large onion, chopped
2 (10 oz.) cans cream of mushroom soup
2 (16 oz.) packages of frozen, french cut grean beans; thawed
1 (14 oz.) can bean sprouts; rinsed and drained
2 (8 oz.) cans diced water chestnuts; drained
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 (2.8 oz.) cans french fried onions
1. Melt butter in large frying pan over medium heat; add onion and saute about 7-8 minutes or until tender.
2. Stir in soup and bring it to a boil.
3. Stir in beans and next 3 ingredients. (sprouts, chestnuts, and salt)
4. Spoon into lightly greased 13x9 baking dish. Top evenly with cheddar cheese.
5. Bake covered at 375 degrees for 25 mins. Uncover and sprinkle evenly with french fried onions. Bake 10 more minutes or until bubbly.
1. Don't melt the butter!! I always thought you were supposed to
2. After making the dough just cook 1 or two to see how they turn out. My cookies have always fallen flat making them hard and crispy. The trick is to ADD MORE FLOUR if they fall. Keep trying it until it turns out right.
These were my first successful cookies in a long time:
Rachel Potts Chocolate Chip Cookies:
2/3 cup Crisco (Shortening) DO NOT MELT
2/3 cup butter (or margarine) DO NOT MELT
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Vanilla
3 1/4 cup flour ( I think I ended up using a total of 4 cups of flour but test for yourself)
1 package chocolate chips
Mix all ingredients together in mixer. spoon onto cookie sheet. Bake @ 375 for 10 minutes. Makes about 4-5 dozen cookies.
1 1/8 cup Warm Water
3 TBS Oil
3 Cups Flour
3/4 tsp Salt
3/4 tsp Sugar
1 Tablespoon Yeast
Mix together and let raise 1 hour. This will make one Crust. Double or Triple for more pizza
Roll out onto pizza pan or cookie sheet. Cover with pizza sauce or canned spaghetti sauce and desired tppings. Bake 12 min @ 425
We usually put on pepperoni, suasage, pineapple and cheese. But add what you want or try this:
Barbecue Chicken Pizza:
Cook chicken on grill & cut up into cubes. Spread barbecue sauce on crust instead of spaghetti sauce. Top with chicken and cheese.
Tuesday, July 28, 2009
Monday, July 27, 2009
Package of chicken breast; cut into bite-size pieces
3 Green Bell Peppers; cut into bite-size pieces
Pineapple Chunks and Pineapple Juice; fresh or canned
Bamboo shish-kebab sticks soaked in water
In a saucepan, heat pineapple juice and add brown sugar so that they blend together well, I didn't measure, I just went with what looked right and then did a taste test. Add the garlic salt. Then I put the chicken chunks into a baggie with the marinade and let it set in the refridgerator for about 8 hours from the time that I prepared it to the time I was putting it on the skewers. You could even put a thickening agent into the sauce and make it a glaze instead of a marinade, too. The sticks don't have to soak long, just a few minutes... Then just string on the bits of chicken, pineapple, and peppers randomly. We cooked it over a campfire, which I think made it extra tastey! But over a bbq or whatever would be great too! My kids ate them so fast and had about 3 sticks, and didn't even complain about the 'green.' Hope you all enjoy, too!!
Sunday, July 26, 2009
2 c. sugar
1 1/4 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
1/2 t. baking powder
1 c. water
3/4 c. dairy sour cream
1/4 c. shortening
1 t. vanilla
4 oz. unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled.
Combine dry ingredients and blend well. In a separate bowl combine the wet ingredients and add all at once to the dry ingredients. Blend at low speed until moistened, then on high speed for 3 minutes. Pour into pans.
Bake for 30-40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes; remove, and cool completely.
3 c. powdered sugar
1/4 c. dairy sour cream
1/4 c. butter, softened
3 Tbsp. milk
1 t. vanilla
3 oz. unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled.
To assemble cake, place first layer, top side down on cake plate; spread with 1/4 of the frosting. Top with second layer, top side up. Spread sides and top of cake with remaining frosting. ENJOY!! This cake recipe came from the Pillsbury Complete Book of Baking.
Thursday, July 23, 2009
Penne with Vegetables in Tomato-Basil Sauce
2 Cups uncooked penne pasta (6 ounces)
1 Tablespoon olive oil or vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
1 medium carrot, chopped (1/2 cup)
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained (I buy the kind with basil, garlic, and oregano)
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1 small unpeeled zucchini, chopped (1 cup)
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried Basil
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (opt)
1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
1. Cook ande drain pasta
2. While pasta is cooking, heat oil in 10 inch skillet over medium-high heat. Cook onion and carrot in oil 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender. Stir in tomatoes and tomato sauce. Cook 5 minutes.
3. Stir in zucchini and basil; reduce heat to medium. Cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sauce is desired consistency. Stir in parsley. Serve over pasta. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
Fettuccine and Chicken in Orange-Cherry Sauce (I love this one)
6 ounces uncooked fettuccine
1/2 pound cut-up boneless chicken breast (cut into strips or cubed)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups or 1 package (9 ounces) frozen whole green beans (these are actually really good) but get the frozen, it's easier)
1 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 cup dried cherries (I wouldn't noramally buy these but one package is like $2 or $3 and you don't even use the whole thing, it's worth it)
1. Cook and drain fettuccine as directed on package
2. While fettuccine is cooking, spray 12 inch skillet with cooking spray. Heat over medium heat. Cook chicken and salt in skillet 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally until chicken is brown. Stir in frozen green beans. Cover and cook over medium heat 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beans are crisp-tender.
3. Mix orange juice and cornstarch in cup until smooth. Stir orange juice mixture and cherries into chicken mixture. Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally until beans are tender and chicken is no longer pink in center. Add fettufccine to chicken mixture; toss.
Monday, July 20, 2009
then added two heaping spoonfuls of brown sugar,
a teaspoon of vanilla,
1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon,
and one big spoonful of peanut butter.
Stir it all together and top with sliced bananas! Yummy.
Tuesday, July 14, 2009
1 can corn- Drained
1can black beans- rinsed and drained
1 lg tomato chopped
1 avocado- chopped
1pkg dry Good Seasons Italian dressing mix (made to directions on pkg)
Mix all together gently- serve with tortilla chips
Fresh Tomato Salsa
3 tomatoes chopped
1/2 cup onion- finely diced
3 serrano chilies-finely chopped
1/2 cup cilantro- chopped
2tsp. lime juice
Put all ingredients in medium bowl, stir together, and chill for 1 hour before serving.
Monday-- BLT Sandwiches
Just as it sounds. I just cook some bacon in the microwave and cut up some lettuce and tomato. Toast some bread, use Miracle whip or Mayonnaise on bread, then put the as BLT on as you want. This is great in the summer time when you don't want the stove or oven to heat up the house.
Tuesday-- Super Burritos (The twist to these burritos is that they're baked)
1 lb. Hamburger
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1 clove Garlic, minced
1/4 cup water
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 cup cooked rice
1 4oz. can diced green chile peppers
8 10-inch flour tortillas
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar or monterey jack cheese
2/3 cup chopped tomato (opt)
2 cups shredded lettuce (opt)
1 recipe guacamole (below)(opt)
1. for filling, in a large skillet cook ground beef, onion, green pepper, and garlic until meat is brown and onion is tender. Drain off fat. Stir in water, chili powder, and cumin. Cook about 5 minutes or until most of the water has evaporated. Remove from heat. Stir in cooked rice and can of chile peppers.
2. Meanwhile, wrap tortillas tightly in foil. Heat in a 350 oven for 10 minutes to soften.
3. Spoon about 1/2 cup filling onto each tortilla just below the center. Top filling with cheese and tomato. Fold tortillas into burritos and secure with toothpicks (Mine stayed close without toothpicks). Arrange burritos on a baking sheet, seam side down. Bake at 350 oven for 10-12 minutes or until heated through. Serve with lettuce, sour cream, guacamole, and salsa if desired.
2 medium ripe avocados
1/2 of a medium small onion, chopped
1/2 4oz can of diced green chile peppers, or several drops of hot sauce
1 Tablespoon of fresh cilantro or parsley, or 1 teaspoon of dried cilantro or parsley (cilantro is much better here)
1 Tablespoon of lemon juice or lime juice
1 clove of garlic, minced
2/3 cup chopped tomato (opt)
1. In a food processor or blender, combine avocados, onion, Chile peppers, cilantro, lemon juice, garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Cover and blend until smooth. If desired stir in tomato.
Wednesday--Homemade chicken nuggets
3/4 cup plain bread crumbs (I put bread in the toaster and then in the blender to make bread crumbs)
3 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese
2 eggs beaten
1 1/2 lbs. chicken breasts
1/ 1/2 cup barbecue sauce (opt)
Preheat oven to 375. Coat a cookie sheet with non-stick spray. In a shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese (You can also add other things like parsley, onion powder, or Italian seasoning). Place eggs in a small bowl. Dip chicken first into egg then roll chicken in bread crumbs. Place on cookie sheet. Bake at 375 for 35 minutes. Serve with barbecue sauce for dipping.
Thursday-- Chicken Noodle Casserole
1 8oz package of noodles
4 cups cooked chicken, diced
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup milk
1 cup grated cheese
1 cup of bread crumbs
Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl, combine noodles, chicken, soup, milk, and cheese. Mix well. Pour into 13x9 baking dish. Top with bread crumbs. Bake for 20 minutes.
Friday--Bean Salad Wraps
4 8 inch flavored or plain flour tortillas
1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup chopped green pepper or 1 fresh jalapeno finely chopped (I use green pepper)
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, or 2 teaspoons of dried cilantro
1/3 cup mayonnaise or miracle whip
1 tablespoon of lime or lemon juice
1. stack tortillas and wrap in foil. Heat in a 350 oven for 10 minutes to soften.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl mash black beans slightly. Add green pepper and cilantro. Stir in mayonnaise and lime juice.
3. To serve, spread bean mixture evenly over tortillas. Top with lettuce leaves and roll up tortillas.
Saturday-- Cheesy Chicken Breasts
1/2 cup margarine, melted
4 chicken breasts
1/3 cup flour
salt and pepper to taste
1 1/4 cup evaporated milk
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 1/2 cups grated cheese
preheat oven to 350. Pour melted butter into shallow baking dish. Coat chicken breasts in flour, then salt and pepper to taste. Place chicken in baking pan. Bake uncovered at 350 for 30 minutes. In a small bowl combine milk, soup, and cheese. Pour mixture over chicken. Return to oven and bake for 15 minutes.
I hope these ideas help others. If you have any questions about any of the recipes leave a comment and I'll answer there. Happy cooking!!
Tuesday, July 7, 2009
Friday, July 3, 2009
1 3/4 c. flour
1/3 c. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 beaten egg
1/2 c. milk
1/4 c. cooking oil
3/4 c. mashed bananas (this was about 2 bananas for me)
Combine dry ingredients and set aside.
Combine wet ingredients and add all at once to dry ingredients. Stir until just moistened and spoon into prepared muffin cups, filling each 2/3 full.
Bake 18-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
This recipe is courtesy of the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook. Enjoy!