Thursday, August 20, 2009

Crockpot Chicken

This recipe is AWESOME!! My sister-in-law made this and it was so good I called her for the recipe. But I forgot to ask what it was called, so I don't have a name for it but I believe it's a recipe her husband got while serving his mission in South Africa.

4 chicken breasts
1 can corn, drained
1 15oz can black beans, drained
1 yellow onion, sliced
1 green bell pepper, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
1 5 oz can tomato paste
1 4 oz. can green chiles
1 Tablespoon ground Cumin
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/2 lb. pepperjack cheese, grated (Yes the cheese goes in the same time as all the ingredients)

put all ingredients in a crockpot / slowcooker. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 5-6 hours until chicken is no longer pink in center and shreds easily. Stir occasionally. When the chicken is done remove the breasts from the pot and shred with forks. Put back into pot and stir together.

The great thing about this is the different ways it can be eaten. You can serve it over rice, in tortillas as burritoes, or with tortilla chips as nachos. This does make a lot so if you have lots of leftovers I suggest freezing some so you don't have to eat it for every meal for a week.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Silly question: Do you put the cheese in the crock pot and cook with all the other ingredients? Or do you put the cheese in/on afterwards?

Emily Ringel said...

No that's not a silly question, I asked the same one. Yes you put it in at the same time. Unusual, I know, but it works.