Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Best Meatloaf Ever!

If you're like me the word meatloaf conjures up images of a meat brick. I've never found a recipe I liked or that turned out well ... until recently. A friend of mine (who ironically enough originally started this blog) gave me this recipe. It turns out good every time, I have almost everything to make it, and it is really delicious. I challenge you to try it even if you've never liked meatloaf before.

Diner Meatloaf
1 medium onion finely chopped
1 celery rib, chopped (I usually do about 3)
2 garlic cloves, minced

Saute onion, celery and garlic in 1 Tablespoon of oil until tender.

2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/3 cup ketchup
3/4 cup soft breadcrumbs (TIP: For easy breadcrumbs toast a few pieces of bread and then blend them in the blender.)
1 Tablespoon fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon of dried parsley
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 lb. hamburger

In a large bowl combine eggs, ketchup, bread crumbs, parsley, salt, pepper, nutmeg and onion mixture. Add beef and mix well. Place in a greased bread pan. Bake uncovered @350 for 1 hour. Top with desired amount of sauce.

Sauce/Topping:
1 can (28 oz) of diced tomatoes, undrained
1 Tablespoon of olive oil or vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (I always omit these)

For sauce combine ingredients in 8 in. square dish. Bake uncovered @350 for 1 hour (at the same time as meatloaf).

Let meatloaf sit 10 min. before slicing. Serve with sauce.

No comments: