Monday, January 17, 2011

CL Testing - Potato Zucchini Skillet Pancakes

  Cooking Light April 2006

Do not be fooled by the name, these were not so much pancakes as they were hashbrowns in the shape of a pancake.

3 cups shredded yukon gold potatoes
2 cups shredded zucchini (I peeled mine so they were very mild)
1 cup shredded onion

This was pretty easy if you have a food processor with a shredder attachment. And I do. And the shredding took maybe 2 minutes.

Put your shredded veggies in a clean kitchen towel and wring out all the excess liquid. Really get in there and SQUEEZE. I thought I had done well, but there was still about 1/2 liquid in my bowl when I was done.

Dump your de-liquided veggies into a large bowl and add 2 eggs, 1 tsp. salt, and 1/4 cup flour. mix all together.

In a HOT skillet, put 1-2 tsp. veggie oil and pour 1 cup of mixture into hot pan. Flatten and spread out to about 6 inches in diameter. Cook for about 3-4 minutes and flip. another 3-4 minutes and remove from the pan, keep warm. Repeat until all the mixture is gone.

Verdict: I really liked these. They mostly tasted like potatoes with some onion in there. They would be so good in the morning with eggs, we had them as a side with the balsamic chicken.

Dave's vote: They got soft after sitting and waiting for all the batches to be cooked. I would have liked them more if they were crunchier.


No comments: