Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Deep Dish Pizza!

  I was making homemade pizza for dinner yesterday but the dough I pulled from the freezer didn't thaw in time for dinner, so I was stuck with all my toppings prepped and no idea what to do with all of it!!

I remembered in a novel (I know, right?) that there was a pizza crust recipe that didn't need yeast or need to be rolled out. I found the book and proceeded to create:

Crazy Crust Pizza!
(this fits in a home cook's baking sheet. 11x18? PLEASE do not try a pizza stone because you will want to rip your hair out.)

3 Cups flour
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 1/2 tsp oregano
6 eggs (I know - sorry)
2 cups milk

whisk all that together until most of the lumps are gone. Spray your baking sheet LIBERALLY with Pam and sprinkle some cornmeal over that. Dump your gloppy "dough" on top of that and spread it out until it's even.

THEN add your toppings - no sauce or cheese yet, be patient - I used:
1 lb. browned sausage
1 small package pepperoni
1 HUGE red bell pepper
1 tomato
2 carmalized red onions

Put into a 425 oven for 25-30 minutes. It should be a little brown on top.
Then pull it out, add 1- 14 oz. jar of pizza sauce (got mine at walmart for $1), and as much mozzerella cheese as you desire. Back into the oven for 10 minutes to melt the cheese.

Let it sit for 10-ish minutes for 2 reasons. #1 - you will scorch off your taste buds if you want to eat it right away. #2 - it will set a little and be easier to slice and serve.

This was SO good. I am going to keep this in my arsenal when I don't feel like making regular pizza dough!


1 comment:

A.J. Dub. (Amy) said...

Sounds great! It's on my list now. I think I may have made a version of this before.