Friday, July 2, 2010

Pie crust is scary??? Not anymore!!

  I'll admit, pie crust is not my favorite thing ever. I'd rather have a crumbly topping on a pie or a crisp. BUT, when I read about the best chicken pit pie ever with this crust, I had to try it (since I'm a sucker for chicken pot pie).

Kill. me. now.

I may now die a happy woman.

BEST. CRUST. EVER.

I've since made 2 chicken pot pies and 2 fruit pies using the following recipe and I'm never using another one again. Ever.

adapted from : Bon Appetit

Best Pie Crust ever (good for top and bottom of one pie)

2 1/2 C. flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 C. butter/margarine, cut into small chunks and frozen. (that would be 2 sticks)(do not use shortening, that batch did not work for me)
5 tbsp (or more) of ice water.

mix first 3 ingredients and then add all the frozen butter. Mix with pastry blender (your hands are too warm) it will be very crumbly.
then add 5 tbsp of ice water and mix with your hand. it should be a little sticky and not quite together yet.

separate into 2 halves and form a disc shape. wrap into saran wrap and chill in the fridge for at least one hour.

roll out with lots of flour and make your pie.


Oh. so. delicious.



No comments: