Friday, April 2, 2010

Stew


I pulled some stew meat out of the freezer to thaw knowing full well that my husband does not like stew. The entire 6+ years we've been married I've made it one time. So I chose to make it myself instead of using one of those packet mixes(like I did last time). Here's what I did:

I dredged my one pound of stew meat in a flour mixture with 1 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp garlic powder and 1/2 tsp pepper. Shake off the extra flour and throw it into a heavy bottomed pot with veggie oil. once it's browned, add 4 cups of beef stock, 1/2 tsp. pepper, 1 bay leaf and simmer for one hour.

then add:
4-5 chopped potatoes (red or yukon gold, NOT russet)
4 sliced carrots
1 diced onion
2 stacks celery, sliced
2 cloves garlic, diced.
1 tbsp worcestershire
1 tbsp A1
1 tbsp ketchup
2 tsp rosemary leaves

simmer for one hour.

taste for salt, adjust to taste.

serve with crusty rolls and take a nap.

I loved this. Super simple but the broth was delish.

you can add cornstarch/water mixture if you want it thicker.

YUM.


No comments: